A gathering place for Vindictus players of any region or server to get together and discuss the game.

February 2019

Shippuu
    Shippuu
    Forum Coder
    Server :
    • NA East

IGN : Shippuu

February 2019

Post by Shippuu on Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:07 am

February 3

Kingdom Hearts 3 released on January 29th, so delays occurred.

I've decided that now is a good time to detour from what I was doing and continue filling in a piece that is only half-ready: the data. The Armory does not load items from the game database file, but it is certainly used to generate my own data. And the data I have a custom build of is old now; Teide is the newest thing on it; no Battleshades, let alone Miul.

Normally, as a regular thing, fansites will use client files such as images and data to make their tools or info pages work and be accurate. It is probably more unusual that a convenient database exists but *won't* itself be used. The problem here is that Vindictus has a great many duplicates of the same items, that would effectively be spam on search results and listings. Every r7 and up scroll exists twice, due to the 100% success variants, and there are something like 20 copies of each early ivory weapon.

One of the first undertakings of starting v4 was to begin the process of assembling a "clean" database. One that only contains the items relevant to our region, only one copy of each, and only the bits of data that the Armory would use. At the time, I finished probably around 40% of the work. It was just enough to allow me to test the Item List tab and the Gear tab. All duplicates of Avatar items and consumable items still exist, and need to be dealt with.

In addition, I have been puzzling over how to associate items and item types to each other. If you are familiar with a wiki such as the RuneScape wiki, this is the internal mechanism that makes the box at the bottom of the page work, linking to other items. A Regina Helm would show a block for all of the other Regina equipment, a Godly Iron Ore would show a block for all of the Iron Ore tiers, and so on.

Some of these relations are easy, such as sets, but others are more complex than you might initially think. To a player, it is obvious that Godly Iron Ore and Iron Ore are related, but nothing in the data actually directly says this. As far as it is concerned, they are no more similar than Godly Iron Ore and an Exquisite Enchant Rune. This means I need to create my own linking data associating items, that accounts for all of the possible ways that items can be grouped.

I've got nothing on that front so far, and I doubt the work of deleting duplicates would be all that interesting to read about.
    Shippuu
    Shippuu
    Forum Coder
    Server :
    • NA East

Re: February 2019

Post by Shippuu on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:26 am

February 8

The amount of unused items in the database is actually impressive. As mentioned in the last Dev Log, I am working on cleaning up the base db upon which I assemble my own custom data. This base db was previously sweeped to only include items active in the NA client, and also to exclude all duplicate weapons/armor. It did not have any sweeps to remove junk items, NX items, or duplicate outfitters.

The sweep I have been working on is the junk items sweep. Bit by bit, I have been chipping away at this, but it is the most monotonous work I've done in a while. The general rule I am following for what items I am "keeping" is that the item must either be a consumable that could still be used nowadays, it must be a unique piece of equipment, or it must be a material that can be used to craft something.

This means older event boxes, random boxes, and even current gachapon boxes are being axed. Once the base Archives module goes live on the Armory, I will almost certainly add these back one at a time, as I gather enough info to fully reconstruct the event (the contents of each chest, the origin of the event items, the period it was active during). Without these data points, the presence of these items would only create confusion I feel.

My current pass is specifically on items that go in the normal chests, not story items or NX items. Keeping that in mind, and that items were previously removed, I reached the end of the Season 1 items yesterday. At the time, I calculated out the ratio of how many items got purged as compared to how many got kept, as a curiosity. 45.4% of the Season 1 items were junk, and have been cut. I am still processing through Season 2, which is where this Dev Log leaves off for the next.

I will end this by expressing my continued confusion at the fact that items which are clearly labelled for China, Taiwan, or Japan, are not locked to those regions. This means our client loads those items even though they were never intended for this region. These items represent the majority of those that are being cut.
    Shippuu
    Shippuu
    Forum Coder
    Server :
    • NA East

Post by Shippuu on Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:54 pm

February 15

Well, there is far more junk in the data than I thought. As a bit of forward planning that might bite me in the ass later, I also decided to purge every box type item from the data. I want to declare those completely separately as boxes, to try to have a more coherent data structure. It will also allow me to add them back one by one as I can figure out all of the data that they need to be linked to (source obtained from, contents, any related events/sales, etc).

With all of that said, I have finished purging half of the db. All normal chest items are resolved, with more than 10k records axed off this particular copy. This is a rate of about 75.1% of all records being clipped. The majority were KR/CN/TH/TW/JP items never intended to be active in our client. Before I do the NX chest items, I need a break of doing less painfully tedious things.

My next task up will be to tidy up what currently works on the item properties menu, and then I will add functionality to color box settings, item fusions, bind states, etc. Item Fusion in particular should prove interesting; there are a lot of items to have to pick from, and a lot of ways to do it. Color boxes and fusion should both be fun to do, rather than troublesome like the data was.
    Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:32 pm