A gathering place for Vindictus players of any region or server to get together and discuss the game.

June 2016

Shippuu
    Shippuu
    That Guy
    Server :
    • NA East

IGN : Shippuu

June 2016 Empty June 2016

Post by Shippuu Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:26 am

June 1st

I got sidetracked by Weaponsmithing, material hoarding, and various other things, so I am now a fair bit behind schedule. I wanted to have the stat fixes and new stats on the live site before June. They are not critical, at least.

I have mostly finished implementing the restructured function for handling strings, and have not yet started restructuring calculation. Neither should have taken long, but as said before, I got sidetracked and didn't do anything.

Currently on the live site, when the Armory needs to display text somewhere, it pulls it from my text-storing object based on an exact path. If that string doesn't exist, it says Undefined. If that path doesn't exist, the whole function crashes catastrophically.

This is bad for several reasons, not just the obvious "it can error and cause all scripts on the page to stop running" problem. Due to this type of structure, for every language branch I have, it must have a complete directory of its own, with a copy of each string to display, even if it results in having to copy/paste in the English information. Space-wise this is inefficient, and it also slows me down implementing new features/editing features.

With the new structure, it first attempts to pull the string from the path given. If the path doesn't exist, or the string isn't found, it attempts to pull the string from the English set of strings. If it fails again, it will supply a string stating something such as item317_Undefined, indicating what value was not able to be found. As a result, the function does not error or fail to return a value, regardless of what it is told to do. Additionally, I do not need redundant copies of data for languages that have yet to be filled in, or only have partial changes (such as English (EU)).

The followup of restructuring calculations is less significant than it sounds. I will add in a function that uses a third party number object, and it will perform the calculation of values that need to have floor() or ceil() applied to them. This will resolve all "off by 1" rounding errors, in instances they occur at.

On another subject, I'll go over the patch that will be in the works immediately after this one is finished and published. I originally wanted to cover this in the June note, and I will, even though I am currently behind schedule.

I mentioned before that I wanted to redesign the Armory UI. This will be a complete ground up rebuild of how every window and dialog on the Armory looks. Functionally, everything will work exactly the same, unless I explicitly decide to change it alongside the redesign. There are several reasons I am choosing to do this, and I will try to explain them without going overly into technical detail:

Simplifying the Design's Structure

Currently, every element on the Armory has an exact X and Y position within its window. I learned Web Design via making the Armory itself, so this was done based on a false assumption I had of how position:absolute; works. In short, I had thought if I didn't do it this way, I could not properly control the location of the elements within the windows. I now know this to be false, and can correct it.

At the same time, I can build (or rebuild...) certain parts of the design so that I can repeatedly reuse them, making it faster to make new Armory windows. As is, it takes a very long time and a lot of effort to add even a simple Armory dialog, due to having to position everything individually. This is the true reason why certain features I have had in mind have not made their way onto the site yet. Even spending unusually large amounts of time working on the site, implementing something like the Compare Window's settings dialog can take 1-2 days to set its UI up properly and make it look decent. After the rebuild, I hope to be able to make such structures in 30 minutes or less once I know what I want them to look like.

Unifying the Design's Looks

Currently, every window/dialog on the Armory looks and functions just a little differently from every other. The Character window has you click labelled rounded buttons to change characters, and the selected one turns Gold. The Gear window has a vertical row of buttons to select a set, and the selected one loses its right-side border. The Compare window has a button that is literally the text header of the window, to toggle Sets/Weapons mode. The Storage window has circular buttons with no labelling that turn Gold when selected. The lists for profiles have yet another set of buttons, with icons on the left.

Things like that are confusing to users, and a sign of poor design. Even though most of the windows will generally look the same after the redesign, their UI will be a lot more cohesive overall, and it will be more clear how to use the features on each window (hopefully).

Replacing the Config Window

This window has always been the one most prone to massive overhauls, and it has another one aimed at it this time. My plans aren't yet final, but I do have a few changes in mind that will definitely be happening.

Firstly, the base stat entry (the Stats tab) is going to be entirely remodelled in preparation for Ainlach, and will visually be a near replica of the Stats window. This will give allowance for base ATT, M.ATT, Balance, and Critical, as required for the Ainlach titles. The "Activated Buffs" section will be entirely separated from the Config window, and merged with the Buffs List, above the selection list.

The Modifiers tab will be separated into its own window, and will be expanded to include more proficiency/mastery skills. This will be mainly in preparation for the Archives, but also for another feature the Armory will have down the line.

The Profiles tab will be given its own window, and re-purposed as a site-wide window. Profile saving will be split into two parts, and all existing profiles will be converted to the new format. One set of profiles will be your base stats, proficiency ranks, and any other character-specific information. The second set will be equipment and buffs. This way, if you have multiple saved sets for a character, you only have to maintain one save of the base stats of your character. Conversely, if you have one set saved for multiple characters, you will only have to maintain one copy of it.

Lastly and predictably, the Settings tab will be separated into its own window. As a twist however, every existing settings dialog will be merging back into the main Armory Settings window. These settings do not need to be set often, and having to manage a location for each settings dialog is quite silly.

Ease of Use

You might have noticed that in the above section, I mentioned a lot of new windows. And that doesn't even count once the Archives are enabled as a site-wide tool... However, hopefully, you will find that after the redesign, the windows are even more convenient to manage/work with than before. The primary reason for this will be...keybinds!

This is an experimental idea I have been juggling with for a while, and have really wanted to try out. Essentially, instead of toggling windows in and out of view with the Settings tab of the Config window as it is now, you will be able to press a key on your keyboard to summon and dismiss them whenever. You will be able to re-allocate these binds to whichever keys you prefer, or even disable them entirely.

Additionally, a new setting will be attached enabling/disabling "Teleporting windows" or whatever I decide to call the feature. If enabled, and it will be by default, when you open a window via the keybind, it will appear at a fixed location near your mouse cursor, based on how you set it (similar to the current Preview tooltip settings). EX: If I press S to open Armory Settings, it would appear immediately below my mouse cursor, within reach with minimal effort. If the feature is disabled, it would appear exactly where it was when it was last closed.

Finally, it will become possible to individually disable dragging the windows. It can be annoying to have something placed JUST right, then you accidentally drag it a bit and ruin it.

Other

Nothing is set in stone yet, and I am certainly willing to hear feedback of what other things I should or shouldn't do. If you have anything to say, leave a post in the Armory Redesign thread I setup to discuss the changes.
    Shippuu
    Shippuu
    That Guy
    Server :
    • NA East

June 2016 Empty Re: June 2016

Post by Shippuu Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:05 pm

June 2nd

This is an unusual situation, but development has paused indefinitely. I have apparently been permanently banned ingame. For obvious reasons, I will not be able to focus on my site until this is reversed.

From what I can tell, I received an automated ban when the anti-cheat detected the program I use to read a copy of the game's files. Given that I was only LOOKING at these files, and only a copy of them at that, this ban is baffling to me. Especially considering how hard it is to get bots banned (I actually sent a ticket with explanations and pictures about FIENDSADIST and to my knowledge he is not banned yet...)

I have sent an appeal, but the information they are asking, and the claims they are making, seem to have nothing to do with the incident that caused the ban. It's all strange.

What's stranger is that this program is extremely standard for fan site owners, it's basically a requirement to use it to maintain a fan site with accurate information. The program itself is incapable of breaking the ToU.

I'm not too worried though. Given the situation, Nexon is rational enough to be able to look into this and see that it was just a false alert.
    Shippuu
    Shippuu
    That Guy
    Server :
    • NA East

Post by Shippuu Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:30 pm

June 3rd

I've been unbanned, as I expected. However, Nexon was not as rational as I expected, either.

They continue to insist that what I did was against the ToS. This is a very dangerous precedent...and hypocritical. In short, this means any data that is not explicitly made available by the game, or worked out via seeing other data ingame, is against the ToS to share.

This means showing boss stats, ATT caps, Critical caps, Critical Resistance caps, titles from existing KR content, items from existing KR content, and potentially other things, are all against the ToS. In other words, half of the Vindictus Wiki, Nexon's officially recognized Fan Site, is directly against the ToS.

I will continue to petition against this, and for better communication channels between fan sites and Nexon, but they are historically incredibly unwilling to even consider the idea of deigning to talk to fan sites.

This will slow down progress on my site, but it is a fight that needs to be had.
    Shippuu
    Shippuu
    That Guy
    Server :
    • NA East

Post by Shippuu Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:19 pm

June 7th

I am a week behind on this update, but it is done. v2.01.05 is now live. With this ES event, I certainly am going to fall behind even more...

The next update will be the complete UI revamp all at once, ETA unknown. I'm going to take my time on it and do it right this time. The more efficient/tidy this revamp is this time, the faster everything from here on will be to make.

During this time, my Dev Log updates will sometimes contain images of prototypes of the new look for various parts of the site. Seeing an image of it is not confirmation that that is how it will look, it only represents what it looks like at that time.

If you like or dislike something, immediately after a Dev Log showing it/explaining it is the best time to voice any issues/praises.

I won't be doing anything else content-related today, so I'm going ahead and posting this now.
    Shippuu
    Shippuu
    That Guy
    Server :
    • NA East

Post by Shippuu Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:46 am

June 12th

The new Vindictus Manual UI has passed its first critical step as of today, of several recurring UI elements passing my quality standards for looks/functionality. That sounds minor, but this means that the visual look of every input/button/tab on the site has been determined and finalized.

The scope of exactly what this update will be has now increased. Rather than just being v3.00.00 of the Armory, this will also be v2.10.00 of the overall site, and v2.00.00 of Item Compare. The entire site will transition to the new style all at once.

I have several VERY major features intended to be introduced alongside v3 of the Armory, but I want to keep them under wraps until I can provide images alongside the explanations to demonstrate them.

I'm going to continue to hold off on any images until I have more windows visually completed. Right now only two exist on my v3 copy, and it doesn't give a very good overall impression of the UI.

This topic came up in the Vindictus Discord server a few days ago, so I will mention it here:

Apparently, the JavaScript scrollers for lists on the Armory don't work on Mobile browsers. Quite frankly, I am surprised the Armory runs at all on Mobile browsers. Zero testing was done toward that, as I did not own a tablet or smartphone at the time of the Armory's release, or even until semi-recently.

However, in the context of the v3 Armory, this will change. The new Armory UI will be using entirely new HTML/CSS/Display-related JS. All old code is being scrapped and remade from scratch. I want the Armory to be able to work on Mobile, and so with the next update, it is going to.

I originally had plans of making a second Armory, a project I was nicknaming as a micro-Armory or Armory Micro. It would have been aimed purely at Mobile devices, with the main Armory being intended for Desktops. With the features the new Armory UI will have, I should be able to implement a fully functional toggle between having right click features and not having them. Because of this, I plan to just do that instead of making two Armorys and having people deal with the set links being different between them. That just wasn't a good solution, and this is why it isn't going to happen anymore.

If there are any issues on Mobile other than the lack of right click, and the bugginess of the scroll bars, please let me know. I will not be doing frequent testing on my tablet, due to the fact that it takes literally 3 minutes to turn on. Instead, I will simply only be testing things that I suspect could have issues, or that have complicated functionality. If I don't know of the issue, it will not be checked for.
    Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content